Honey prawns are a popular Chinese takeaway dish that you can easily cook at home. Serve with fried rice or crispy noodles and your family will be demanding seconds.
- 1½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- ½ cup dried packaged breadcrumbs
- 500 gram medium uncooked prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup honey
- stir-fried vegetables and cooked jasmine rice, to serve
- Place sesame seeds in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a small bowl. Combine 1 tablespoon of the seeds and breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Season.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- For each prawn, hold tail while turning to coat lightly in flour; shake off excess. Dip into egg, then breadcrumb mixture to coat lightly. Place on prepared tray. Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked.
- Heat honey in a small microwave-safe bowl in microwave on medium (50%), in 20-second bursts, until runny.
- Place prawns in a bowl; drizzle with honey. Toss gently to combine, then sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds. Serve immediately with vegetables and rice.