A snack grilled on a skewer is a fast and easy party starter. These prawns are lightly flavoured with the peppery-herbal notes of native pepperberry. No pepperberry? Black pepper is a nice alternative.
- 1 tsp pepperberries (see note)
- 60 gm light palm sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) fish sauce
- 20 medium uncooked prawns, heads and tails removed, cleaned
- Macadamia oil, for brushing
- 1 finger lime, halved
- Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- Crush pepperberries with a mortar and pestle, then stir in palm sugar and fish sauce until sugar dissolves. Thread prawns onto skewers through the centre lengthways, then brush lightly with the pepperberry mixture and a little macadamia oil. Refrigerate until required.
- Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan to medium-high heat and grill prawns, turning occasionally, until opaque and just cooked (2-3 minutes). Squeeze finger lime and lime juice over prawns, season to taste with sea salt flakes, scatter with coriander and serve with lime wedges.