Ceviche is loaded with shrimp, avocados, tomatoes and cucumbers; all marinated in fresh lime juice. You can use cooked or raw shrimp in this Mexican shrimp cocktail. Ceviche is among our favourite appetisers along with cowboy caviar and the wildly popular shrimp salsa. It is a major crowd pleasing recipe and so satisfying served over crisp tostadas or with tortilla chips.
- ½ kg shrimp (raw or cooked) peeled, deveined and diced
- Juice from 6 limes
- 1 cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 large avocado (or 2 small avocados)
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- ½ red onion diced
- ¼ bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- ¼ tsp black pepper or to taste
- 230 ml clamato juice (use "picante" version for spicier salsa)
- TO SERVE:
- 16 Tostadas (or a bag of tortilla chips)
- Hot Sauce (Tabasco or Franks Red Hot)
- Dice shrimp and place into a large glass (non-metamixing bowl. Squeeze 1 to 1¼ cups lime juice from 6 limes over shrimp. Stir to combine then cover and marinate in the refrigerator (marinate 1½ to 2 hours for raw shrimp or until no longer translucent and marinate 15 minutes for cooked shrimp), stirring halfway through.
- Chop the vegetables: cucumber, avocado, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro.
- When shrimp are done marinating, add vegetables to the bowl.
- Add ¼ tsp black pepper or season to taste and gently stir to combine. Lastly, stir in 1 cup clamato juice, mixing just to combine. Serve with tortilla chips or over tostadas.