We’ve transformed our favourite Spanish paella into crunchy prawn cakes, served with a fresh salad. Packed full of flavour and ready in just 30 minutes, it’s the perfect midweek meal that feels indulgent, without you having to break a sweat. The secret is a few handy freezer ingredients that you can have stashed away, ready to whip this up whenever you need an easy dinner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, very finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, half finely chopped and half peeled into ribbons
- 1 red pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
- 100gms frozen petit pois, defrosted
- 150gs frozen prawns, defrosted and finely chopped
- 2 x 200gms packs frozen rice
- 100gms panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tbsp plain flour, for dusting
- 1 cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- ½ red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 lemons, 1 zested and juiced, and 1 cut into wedges
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion, chopped carrot and pepper for 8-10 mins, until soft. Add the peas and prawns for the last 2-3 mins to heat through.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the pack instructions, then place in a large bowl, along with the cooked veg and prawn mix, breadcrumbs and eggs. Season and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 cakes and dust with the flour. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and cook the cakes for 5-7 mins over a medium-high heat, flipping regularly, until golden all over.
- In a serving bowl, mix the cucumber and carrot ribbons with the red cabbage and most of the lemon zest. Sprinkle the remaining lemon zest over the paella cakes. Drizzle a little lemon juice on top and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Serve with the lemon wedges and the salad.