Bring some zingy, fresh Thai flavours to your next Friday night dinner with this easy prawn skewer recipe. Flavoured with red Thai curry paste for a spicy kick and served with a vibrant grapefruit and crunchy veg salad, this makes a delicious healthy dinner for two.
- 1 x 165g pack raw peeled king prawns
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tsp vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 50g dried vermicelli rice noodles, broken up
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 grapefruit, segmented
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ cucumber, finely sliced, or cut into thin rounds
- 200g red cabbage, finely sliced
- ½ red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 15g cashew nuts
- 1 x 30g pack coriander, leaves and stalks roughly chopped
- small handful mint leaves, finely chopped
- Soak 4 wooden skewers in cold water for 10 mins. Mix the prawns and curry paste in a bowl, then thread onto the skewers. Heat a griddle pan over a high heat and cook the prawns for 2-3 mins each side, until cooked through and charred.
- Heat 2cm oil in a deep pan over a medium-high heat. Test if the oil is hot by dropping in one of the noodle pieces; it should puff up immediately. In batches, drop the noodles into the oil for a few secs to puff up, then remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Whisk the lime juice, fish sauce, 2 tsp vegetable oil and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the grapefruit, vegetables, chilli, nuts and herbs. Add three-quarters of the noodles and toss together. Serve with the cooked prawns and remaining noodles.